Tuesday, 17 May 2016
Seafood Potjie – Serves 6
3 - 4 onions (finely sliced)
3 cloves garlic (minced)
2 green bell peppers (deseeded & sliced)
1 red bell pepper (deseeded & sliced)
3 - 4 tbsp. (45 - 60 ml) fish masala
410 g (1 can) chopped tomatoes
1 kg Kingklip or monk pieces (cut into 3 - 4 cm cubes)
250 g calamari rings
200 g mussels
800 g head on prawns (deveined)
Fresh chopped coriander leaves for garnish
1. Place the potjie on the fire to heat. Once smoking, add the oil followed by the onions and garlic then sauté for 5 minutes. Constantly stir to prevent burning.
2. Add the peppers and sauté for another 5 – 10 minutes. Add the masala and stir through.
3. Add the chopped tomatoes and heat for 10 minutes. Layer the seafood, but start with the fish pieces, followed by the rest of the ingredients.
4. Put the lid on the potjie and allow to simmer for 15 – 20 minutes on medium heat. Watch the heat and move the coals/ wood around to prevent too much heat directly on the potjie.
5. Once cooked, remove from the heat and top with chopped coriander.
6. Serve with braai bread or samp and corn.
NOTE: When using frozen seafood, remember to drain the seafood after thawing. This prevents too much additional water in the pot.