Easy Pesto & Feta Tart Recipe
Ingredients - serves 4
For the pesto:
* 1 cup of basil leaves chopped fresh or frozen
* 3 tab spoons of olive oil extra virgin
* Juice of half a lemon
* 2 heaped tablespoons of Parmesan cheese grated
* 1 tablespoons of pine nuts.
* Salt and pepper
For the Tart:
* Puff pastry roll
* 2 table spoons of Pesto (homemade)
* 2 large tomatoes sliced thinly
* 2 table spoons of chopped sun-dried tomatoes
* 100 - 200 g or 7 oz of crumbled feta cheese
* Salt and pepper to taste
1) For the pesto, I simply bash all the dry ingredients with a pestle and mortar, and lemon juice, then add olive oil until I get a thick paste. Takes 2 minutes since the basil is already chopped. Make sure to crush the garlic well. Season to taste.
Add more olive oil of Parmesan cheese depending on consistency, to get a thick paste.
You can keep any left over in a sealed jar in your fridge for up to 1 week. Or freeze it into ice cube trays and use for pasta, sandwiches..
Pine nuts are optional here too. I have made without, and it tastes just as nice.
2) Pre-heat Oven to 200 deg C or 392 F. Line a round pastry dish with the puff pastry. Keep the grease proof paper in if if come with it.
2) Spread 2 tablespoons of pesto onto the base.
3) Arrange tomato slices on top, overlapping for a pretty pattern. Season with salt and pepper.
4) Turn oven temp down and bake at 180 deg C or 356 F for 30 minute until golden brown and tomatoes have dried a little and begun to caramelize.
5) Sprinkle feta and sun-dried tomatoes on top and return to oven for another 5-10 minutes to finish baking.
You can totally blind-bake the pastry before adding the pesto for about 10 minutes, so the bottom on the tart is nice and crispy.