Vaties bran rusks
MAKES 80 RUSKS
5 x 250 ml (5 c) Cake flour
10 ml (2 t) Salt
10 ml (2 t) Bicarbonate of soda
500 ml (2 c) Jungle Oats, Cooking Oats
750 ml (3 c) Jungle Oats Taystee Wheat Bran
375-500 ml (1½-2 c) Sugar
500 ml (2 c) Mixed peanuts and raisins
250 g Butter, melted
1 litre (4 c) Buttermilk
Preheat the oven to 180 °C. Grease two 42 x 24 cm baking sheets with nonstick spray.
1. Sift together the cake flour, baking powder, salt and bicarbonate of soda. Add the Jungle Oats, Cooking Oats, Jungle Oats Taystee Wheat Bran, sugar and mixed peanuts and raisins to the sifted dry ingredients.
2. In a separate bowl beat together the butter, buttermilk and eggs and mix with the dry ingredients until well blended.
3. Press the rusk mixture into the prepared tins and bake for 30-40 minutes or until done.
4. Remove the rusks from the oven and leave to cool slightly in the tins.
5. Reduce the oven temperature to 100 °C. Turn out the rusks on a wire rack and leave to cool completely. Cut into 2-cm-thick fingers.
6. Arrange the rusks in a single layer on the baking sheets, cut sides up, and dry in the oven overnight.