- 3 1/2 cups self-rising flour
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 2 1/2 cups bran flake cereal
- 1 1/2 cups seeds or nuts (poppy, almonds, sunflower, hazelnuts, linseed, etc)
- handful dried fruit (cranberries, raisins, currants, apricots, etc)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk (or 1 cup milk and 1 teaspoon lemon juice)
- 1 cup butter, melted
Preheat oven to 375 F. Line 9-inch by 13-inch pan with baking paper and set aside.
In large bowl mix dry ingredients together.
In small bowl, whisk together eggs, buttermilk, and melted butter, then pour into dry mixture and stir well until it forms a dough.
Press dough into oven dish, making sure it goes into all the corners. Place in oven and bake 30 minutes.
Remove from oven and reduce oven temperature to 180 F.
Invert cake onto large cutting board, and cut or break into desired shapes. Return pieces to baking dish (you may need a second dish to enable air to circulate freely between pieces), and place in oven for 8 hours until rusks are dried out. Prop oven door open slightly with a metal spatula to allow the moisture to escape during the drying process.
Remove from oven, allow to cool, and store in airtight container.