- 1 cup (140 gram) self-raising flour (add 1 tablespoon self-raising flour if the batter is too runny)
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon (pinch) salt
- ¼ cup coconut
- 1 jumbo (xtra-large) egg
- ½ cup (100 gram) white sugar
- 1 x 410 gram tin of fruit salad (fruit cocktail) in juice
- 1/2 teaspoon (2 ml) vanilla essence
- 3/4 cup (190ml, which is ½ of a 410 gram tin) Nestlé Ideal Evaporated Milk
- 1/3 cup (75 gram) sugar
- 2 tablespoons (25 gram) butter
- 1/2 teaspoon (2 ml) caramel or vanilla essence
- Sift the self-raising flour, baking soda and salt together. Add coconut.
- Beat egg and sugar together.
- Add vanilla essence, tinned fruit, and juice in which the fruit was preserved, to egg and sugar mixture.
- Add dry ingredients to the mixture and mix.
- Pour the batter into a greased 20 cm (1,25 litre) oven dish.
- Bake for 30 to 40 minutes in an oven, preheated to 180ºC, while you make the caramel sauce.
- Bring all the ingredients, except the caramel or vanilla essence, to the boil in a saucepan. Reduce the heat and simmer for 3 to 5 minutes.
- Remove sauce from the stove and add caramel or vanilla essence.
- Pour the hot sauce over the hot tart as soon as it comes out of the oven.
For a tropical flavour, add approximately ¼ cup of crushed pineapple and ¼ cup of coconut to the sauce.