Friday, 6 July 2018
30 ml butter
30 ml canola oil
1.5 kg oxtail, small pieces
1 onion, diced
3 cloves garlic, diced
1 large carrot, diced
1 large stick of celery
2 sprigs rosemary
12 pickling (baby) onions, peeled
250 g baby carrots, peeled (or just 4 large carrots, cut into large chunks)
12 baby potatoes
750 ml strong beef stock
30 ml tomato paste
Freshly ground salt and pepper, to taste
1. Coat the oxtail pieces in seasoned flour.
2. Heat the butter and oil in the potjie.
3. Brown the meat and set aside.
4. Add the prepared onion, garlic, carrot, celery and rosemary and fry until softened.
5. Add the remaining veggies and heat through.
6. Add the meat, followed by the beef stock and tomato paste.
7. Cover and simmer gently over moderate heat for 4 hours.
8. Add more stock if the liquid evaporates too rapidly.
9. Season to taste and serve with rice, mash or homemade bread