FRUITY LAMB AND SWEET POTATO STEW WITH COUSCOUS
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, ﬁnely chopped
- 450g lamb cubes
- 2 tsp garlic paste
- 1 tsp crushed ginger
- salt and pepper
- 1½ tsp turmeric
- 1½ tsp paprika
- 3 tsp cumin
- 2 tsp chopped rosemary
- 4 tsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 x 400g tin diced tomatoes
- 1 litre chicken or lamb stock
- 150g Montagu Mixed Dried Fruit
- 600g sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into bite sized chunks
- handful of fresh coriander, roughly chopped
- 200g couscous
- 350ml freshly boiled water
- small handful of fresh parsley, chopped
1. Heat the olive oil in a large pot. Add the onion and lamb cubes and brown for a few minutes.
2 Add the garlic paste, ginger, salt, pepper, turmeric, paprika, cumin and rosemary. Stir over the heat for a minute. Stir in the balsamic vinegar.
3. Add the tinned tomatoes and chicken or lamb stock. Stir, then allow to simmer for 10 minutes.
4. Chop any large pieces of dried fruit such as the pears. (Prunes and apricots can be left whole.) Add the dried fruit to the pot with the sweet potato chunks and coriander. Stir and leave to simmer for a further 25 minutes or until the potato is cooked through.
5. During the last few minutes of cooking time place the couscous in a bowl. Pour the boiling water over the couscous, cover the bowl and leave to stand until all of the water has been absorbed. Fluff the couscous with a fork and stir in the parsley.
6. Dish the herby couscous onto warmed plates and top with the stew. Serve immediately